Application & Adoption
If you are interested in possibly adopting a pet, please complete an application to get things started!
As an all-volunteer organization, our volunteers have families, foster rescue pets, take care of their own pets, work full-time, work two jobs, etc...the more information you provide on your application, the easier and faster it is to process your application. The application and adoption process is simple and can move very quickly (within two days for most pets - note: German shepherd dogs can take up to 10-14 days to process) for qualified applicants who make their application easy to approve.
HOW CAN YOU SPEED UP THE ADOPTION PROCESS?
- Be sure your application is complete! Incomplete applications will receive a lower priority or may not be processed at all.
- Call your veterinarian, let them know to release history/reference information to Richland Animal Rescue or Southwest Michigan German Shepherd Rescue (if applying for a German shepherd dog).
- Email us a virtual home visit! Take photos of your home, family, other pets, yard, etc. and email them to: email@example.com. Example: "John Smith/Virtual Home Visit/Emma, German Shepherd Dog."
ONCE YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED
- The foster home or owner (in case of Home to Home adoptions) will call you to talk with you about the pet you are most interested in adopting. Note: Some pets may be owned by other rescues or shelters, in that case, that rescue or shelter will contact you and continue with their process.
- A time will be set up between you and the foster home to come meet the pet and introduce it to others in your family. And/or a home visit may be set up for the pet to come visit you at your home.
- If pet seems like a good match, the next step will be to adopt the pet and take your new pet home.
WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR PET HOME
- A loving and humane home that is both a good match for you and a good match for the pet.
- If you want to adopt a feline, be sure to pick up supplies and have a carrier to bring your feline safely home. Note: Felines must be secured and transported in an approved carrier.
- If you want to adopt a canine, be sure to pick up supplies and have a leash or crate available for transport.
WHY THIS PROCESS?
Richland Animal Rescue follows internet safety rules for our volunteers and requires an approved application to connect potential adopters to foster homes or adoptable pets outside of public events.
Many pets have been rescued from compromised or neglectful situations. Our volunteers work very hard to make sure the next home for each pet is going to provide for all of the needs of the pet being adopted, as well as an enjoyable companion that is a good match and fit for the new home to try to meet the expectations of the adopter.
WE REALLY APPRECIATE YOU AS AN ADOPTER OF A RESCUE PET! THANK YOU!
The mission of Richland Animal Rescue & Equine Shelter (RARES) is to provide a safe haven for homeless pets until a responsible loving home can be found.
We also serve the community as an educational resource promoting compassion and respect for all life forms.